[tlhIngan Hol] How do we say spring and autumn ?

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu May 2 11:05:38 PDT 2019

Somehow, I suspect that Klingons would have three seasons, because, why not? They don’t like cold, so they could do like we did February, and make it shorter than the others. The whole idea of having a season distinct from another time period with a boundary between them is arbitrary, and naming them is arbitrary. Some places on Earth describe a “rainy season” or a hunting season or a mating season or whatever, while most seasons have arbitrary names. Maybe Klingons name theirs after the current emperor, the current chancellor, and the current ace pilot who destroys the most enemy vessels.

Meanwhile, since we like to use words like “season” to refer to Human/Earth message translations, we can always get away with deictic relativism with {qImroqvam}, {qImroq veb}, {qImroq vorgh}, and {qImroq Dop}, or color words for the state of vegetation (SuD for Spring/Summer, Doq for autumn, qIj for winter), or temperature (bIrbogh, tujchoHbogh, tujbogh, bIrchoHbogh) or whatever. Short of getting Okrand to tell us the actual names of the seasons, we’ll have to either agree on something, or just say it in a way that is obvious which season we’re talking about.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.