[tlhIngan Hol] And now..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed May 29 04:50:38 PDT 2019

On 5/29/2019 7:04 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 29.05.2019 um 11:10 schrieb De'vID:
>> I ask because {'ej} is a sentence conjunction, and there's no known
>> instance of such a thing *starting* a sentence.
>
> Also in English (and other languages) it does not count as good style
> starting a sentence with "and."

Depends on the register in which you're writing. In Biblical style it's
quite common. Before literacy was common, people who could read would
read aloud for the benefit of those who could not. Using a prominent
conjunction at the beginning of a sentence was meant to be an audible
cue that you were starting a new sentence.

The rule "don't start a sentence with a conjunction" is about as valid
as "don't split infinitives."

We do have canonical Klingon of conjunctions starting sentences.

*'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'* (ST5)

*yIghIr qeylIS yIghIr
    betleHlIj yI'uch
    'IwlIj DevtaHjaj*

*'ej pum qeylIS