[tlhIngan Hol] Fwd: Re: Expressing "neutral gender"

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue May 28 13:56:23 PDT 2019

ja' mayqel qunen'oS:
> Once again, you're addressing a matter on the assumption that someone
> gives a crap, as to what a klingon would or would not say.
[...]
> Anyways, I'm tired of all this.

Don't let you be disencouraged by this. You are right that sometimes
it's annoying to get the answer that "Klingons don't say this and that",
and some people use that answer abit too often.

But on the other hand, what they really mean is simply "The Klingon
language does not express it that way". Sometimes it's just the way it
tis, and we have to live with it. It's not about how a fictive race may
think or talk, it's sometimes just how a language works.

I'm not being specific with this situation, because maybe we just don't
know the word yet. But for instance, we know there is no way to express
"the best" without having a comparison. For instance, we know you have
to use a formula {X Q law', Hoch Q puS}. So there are many other
situations where the answer just is "Klingons don't say that" while what
we really mean is "That's not how one would say it in Klingon."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"