[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 28 07:05:18 PDT 2019

Lieven L. Litaer :
>> We don't have a word for individual keys on the nItlh 'echlet?
> Not really, no. But when there are letters, you can identify them by 
> naming them, like I did above.

Daniel Dadap:
>>> mIt'a' «leQ»?

That's what I've always used.  AFAIK {leQ} is the closest thing we have.  See Maltz's comments on the buttons on a computer mouse to Lieven:

(Lieven, 11/16/2014 < qepHom 2014):   And a mouse is a {'eQway'} (not to be confused, Maltz was quick to point out, with {'eQway} "belly button"). He said that a {'eQway'} does not have a {'eQway}, but that it could have a {leQ} "button" (but more generally "switch") and it usually has two (a {poS leQ} and a {nIH leQ}, "left button" and "right button" respectively) … To "click" one of the buttons is to {'uy} press down (even though the action is really to press down and then release). To say to "click" on a link, for example, the verb {wIv} "select, choose" is used rather than {'uy}.

I don’t see much of a difference between pressing buttons on a {SeHlaw} "control panel, console" and pressing keys on a {nItlh 'echlet} "keyboard".  Okrand has mentioned control panels:

(HQ 10.2:8):  The "finger verbs' are used when talking about specific ways of using a particular device (weapon, computer control panel, even musical instrument)…

(KGT 57):  After all, touching a colored light on a control panel is hardly the same experience as staring into the face of one's enemy while lunging toward him with a drawn blade.

As for "typing" or "keyboarding" in general we have the verbs:

raQ 		manipulate by hand, handle 
ruQ  		control manually (by hand) 

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list