[tlhIngan Hol] targh wab

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon May 27 03:26:40 PDT 2019

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> jIHvaD QoQvam ghuHmoHpu':
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV3GJK8j32Q
>
> "Beetles" Ho'wI' ghaH Marc Okrand'e' qar'a'?

qarbej. 'e' lucha'law' {QemjIq} jaj pongmey je; ghaytan latlhmey vIqawbe'bogh tu'lu'.

taH:
> {welwelwel} mu' qID mung 'oHchugh QoQvam'e', qID vIyajchu'be'. QIjlaH'a' vay'?

If it's based upon this song, I can't see what the joke would be.

I admit, ever since the term was revealed I've had another, probably fairly uncharitable hypothesis that I've always been rather reticent to share openly, but here goes: of all animals, targs are most similar to Terran pigs or swine. The other things I know that are renowned for saying "Well, well, well" are stereotypical British police officers. And "pig" is an unusually old slang term for "police" in English, even predating "cop" or "bobby"; it's first recorded in writing with this specific sense in an 1811 slang dictionary (https://bit.ly/2QprFKG), but probably predates that by some margin.

For further cultural reference, note the beginning of this scene from A Clockwork Orange:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNKvRZFKACI

and Know Your Meme has this Pokémon parody:
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1466171-pokemon-sword-and-shield-uk-parodies

QeS 'utlh