[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luS

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri May 24 06:56:04 PDT 2019

On 5/24/2019 9:46 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 24.05.2019 um 14:57 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
>> And even if somebody did choose to do so intentionally for reasons
>> other than being silly, so what?
>
> I do not agree with that. It's not only ugly, it's simply an incorrect
> letter. We surely can't change the older in what they do, but it's the
> mission of this list to teach newbiew speak and also write Klingon, and
> using the left single quote for an apostrophe is just wrong. It's not an
> apostreophe. Neither is the accent grave or te degree circle.

Okrand uses this symbol in his books for the glottal stop: ’

Let's assume for now that he was specific about the typeface choice. I
seem to remember him telling some story about how the editors wanted to
change some of his initial ’ to ‘, and on this vague recollection I take
it as true that Okrand specifically wanted ’. (If he didn't choose the
character specifically, then it certainly doesn't matter which character
we choose.)

Okrand does not use ' in his publications, only ’. So my question to you
is, why is it okay to use '? Isn't ' also the wrong character to use?