[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: luS

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri May 24 06:46:55 PDT 2019

Am 24.05.2019 um 14:57 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
> SuStel isn’t asking this question because *he* thinks U+0027 is an unacceptable choice, but rather to ask why, given the reasons you listed for why U+2019 is a better choice, why U+0027 is acceptable as well.

It sounded to me like he thought I would reject 0027 and only accept
2019 as being the only perfect way.

> I suspect SuStel has his own reasons for thinking U+0027 is acceptable, as he consistently uses it to represent qaghwI'. I agree with both you and SuStel that U+2019 is the most aesthetically pleasing choice within the apostrophe/single-quote family, but I personally use U+0027 because [...]

Then look back at your first sentence: the word "isn’t" uses the U+2019
apostrophe. Maybe you din't even notice?

> nevertheless I retain a (mostly philosophical) preference for staying restricted
to 7-bit ASCII for basic Latin script texts,

I agree, because there are still many systems that mess up unicode symbols.

> I don’t think anybody is making the conscious choice to use that character for qaghwI' unless they’re trying to be silly,

It was obvious to me that Voragh hat it in there by accient, that's why
I told hi to correct it.

> And even if somebody did choose to do so intentionally for reasons other than being silly, so what?

I do not agree with that. It's not only ugly, it's simply an incorrect
letter. We surely can't change the older in what they do, but it's the
mission of this list to teach newbiew speak and also write Klingon, and
using the left single quote for an apostrophe is just wrong. It's not an
apostreophe. Neither is the accent grave or te degree circle.

If someone write a lower case I we also tell them not to do so. Just
imagine a spanish speaker coming here, starting every sentence with an
upside down question mark, because he's used to in Spanish. Somebody
would tell him that it's not the way we do it in English. A German
speaker might be reminded that words like NGlish or Klingon are always
capitalized. If I'd use this | in place of the letter l, I'm sure you
would also ell me it's the wrong symbol, even though I may think it
looks like the letter L.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"