[tlhIngan Hol] Punctuation

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed May 22 02:20:18 PDT 2019

Am 21.05.2019 um 21:36 schrieb SuStel:
> I know I used that term. I meant it. Whoever wrote that message about
> Klingonists agreeing didn't perform any kind of survey or study that I'm
> aware of; they just kinda figured that enough Klingonists used
> punctuation that they could say Klingonists "agree" on it.

It was Holtej, obviously, who wrote that into the FAQ, but I have no
idea on what that is based on.

> And I'm not disputing that. I'm saying I don't know of any official
[...]
> Do you know of any such survey?

Even if there were a survey, it still wouldn't mean anything. I made a
survey proving that 90% prefer "Klingon" over "Klingonese", but that
will not stop anyone from using the word "Klingonese".

> First of all, I wasn't originally talking to you; you butted in when you
> read your name. Calibrate your words before offering them.

Well, still I somehow felt offended somehow, or at least, saying more
neutral, I felt addressed. Each time you refer to the Klingonwiki you
name it "Lieven's wiki", as if it were just a worthless toy that I just
made up. Of course I was the one who set it up, but I still wish it to
be "our" wiki, not "mine".

> Third, Wikilobbying:
> http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6p6df7/the-colbert-report-the-word---wikilobbying

I cannot access that video from my place, but the subtitle of it makes
clear what it's about.

> Klingons speak Klingon words. Klingons don't use English punctuation.

Klingons also don't use English letters.

> Okrand DOES use punctuation for Klingon in one place in TKD:

Just for the record: Okrand uses Punctuation in KGT, TKW, Monopoly, and
when using long sentences in his messages.

> list mandates any punctuation beyond marking foreign terms that have
> been transliterated, but if it does that mandate shouldn't be kept on an
> editable wiki page.

Tell the list owner.

PS: Would it change anything to you if I lock that page?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
http://www.klingonwiki.net/AboutEn/Why