[tlhIngan Hol] Punctuation

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 21 09:58:34 PDT 2019

On 5/21/2019 12:42 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 21.05.2019 um 18:28 schrieb SuStel:
>> I'm saying that Lieven's intuitive feeling about what Klingonists agree
>> on should not be taken as a mandate. mayqel cited that page as if it is
>> authoritative, or at least asking why he should do what it advises.
>
> Just for the record: I did not make that up myself based on my
> "intuitive feeling" (and besides, everyone can work on the Wiki). The
> main contents of that page - especially the section "Klingonists
> convention" - is copied one-to-one from the mailings lists FAQ, written
> somewhere in the first years of the list, so between 1993 and 1997.

I stand corrected. Someone else wrote about their intuitive feeling, and
you copied it.

> So even if that FAQ is still just a recommendation, it has some kind of
> mandate for at least this mailing list, as it answers typical beginenrs
> questions, avoiding lenghthy discussions about the possibilities and
> just providing a simple solution.

The FAQ copied onto your wiki simply says we can use punctuation. It
then links to another page that was not part of the FAQ.

And given that anyone can edit your wiki, it can't possibly be
considered authoritative for this list. And if it is, I'm going to start
editing it with some truly ridiculous ideas, just to mess with everyone,
and they'll have to be considered the rules of the list.

>> Which is still not a mandate,
>
> Besides, Marc Okrand uses {tlhIngan} "translation" when writing Klingon
> texts, so at least that part is even canon.

Whether Okrand has used punctuation is irrelevant. We were using
punctuation in Klingon sentences long before Okrand ever did. This is
not an argument about canon.