[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: vID'Ir

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 20 08:15:37 PDT 2019

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 20, 2019

Klingon word: vID'Ir
Part of speech: noun
Definition: baffle
Source: BOP

tel vID'Irmey 
wing baffles  (KBoP)

(ghunchu'wI' [date?]):  They're specifically the multiple interleaved "plates" at the hinged area which slide past one another as the wing changes orientation between attack, cruise, and landing configuration. (My theory is that they help keep the warp field "smooth" so it can't be detected from a distance when the cloaking device is active.)

(Russ Perry [date?]):  According to http://www.m-w.com  a baffle is "a device (as a plate, wall, or screen) to deflect, check, or regulate flow (as of a fluid, light, or sound)".  I think typically a sound baffle is to carry the sound away from occupied areas.  On a starship it might vent heat out of the ship, or at least away from the engines to cool them down." 

nech 		be lateral, move laterally [use for "slide"?]
QanwI'  	guard (n) [i.e. protective armor plating on a BOP]
vol  		pane,  panel,  sheet (not for bed) (n) [use for metal plate?]

Another option for metal plate might be *{baS beQ}, modelled on {nagh beQ} "stone panel".

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list