[tlhIngan Hol] Hoch, {-pu'}/{-mey}, the indefinite, and cats

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:38:29 PDT 2019

On Fri, 17 May 2019 at 20:51, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand a word of this.. Can you say it with simpler words ?

What exactly didn't you understand? I'll try to express what {ghunchu'wI'}
wrote in a different way:

> ghunchu'wI':
> > In my internalized model of how {Hoch X}
> > works,

"According to my beliefs about how {Hoch} works when it comes before a
noun..."

> the alternative {Hoch vIghro' luleghlu'}

"the other way to write the sentence (i.e., other than {Hoch vIghro'mey
luleghlu'}), namely, to drop the {-mey} suffix and write it as {Hoch
vIghro' luleghlu'}..."

> > violates a kind of {rom}.

"breaks the rule that the verb prefix {lu-}, which when used with {-lu'}
means that the object is plural, has to agree with the actual object..."

The plural indication
> > of the verb prefix isn’t strong enough to
> > coerce {Hoch vIghro'} into meaning {Hoch
> > vIghro'mey}.

"because while normally, when the object doesn't have a plural suffix it
could be either singular or plural, and thus the verb prefix could force
its means to become plural (since both interpretations are equally strong
otherwise), in the case of {Hoch vIghro'}, because {Hoch vIghro'} and {Hoch
vIghro'mey} mean different things, the verb prefix isn't strong enough to
overcome this difference."

Does that help? That's how I understood it.   Possibly {ghunchu'wI'} meant
something different, in which case he can clarify it himself. I thought
what he wrote was fairly easy to understand, and my explanation actually
makes it more complicated.

--
De'vID