[tlhIngan Hol] veQpu' or veQmey ?

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sat May 18 17:44:23 PDT 2019

On Sat, May 18, 2019 at 6:33 PM Will Martin <willmartin2 at mac.com> wrote:

> Someone who dearly loves their pair of parrots may use {-pu’}, but
> everyone, including the speaker knows that it’s grammatically wrong.

Parrots may not have been the best example.

The plural suffix for birds is usually {-mey}, the general plural suffix,
> as would be expected. There is a difference of opinion, however, about
> which plural suffix to use for a few birds capable of mimicking speech,
> such as the {vIlInHoD} and the {qaryoq} (and the larger {qaryoq'a'}), with
> some Klingons using {-mey} but others preferring {-pu'}, the plural suffix
> for beings capable of using language. Maltz is a member of the former camp;
> he said he was never able to engage a {qaryoq} in a conversation that made
> any sense.

http://klingonska.org/canon/2001-12-holqed-10-4.txt

While the examples here are for Klingon birds, I suspect that a {tera'
vIlInHoD} would end up having whichever plural suffix the speaker preferred
for talking birds.