[tlhIngan Hol] doubly {-meH}ed nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 14 13:36:23 PDT 2019

On 5/14/2019 3:30 PM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
> On May 14, 2019, at 14:12, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>>
>> A dieting program is a procedure for training and a procedure for
>> being thin. Neither function is independent of the other.
>>
> Yes, but interdependence in purpose is not the same as causality.

And one is a nested relative clause and one is a nested purpose clause.
I'd only expect to see causality in a purpose clause.

While one can perhaps tease out some minute difference in meaning here,
I don't think it's something the average person would be parsing —
unless Okrand were to arbitrarily tell us that it is.