[tlhIngan Hol] doubly {-meH}ed nouns

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 14 11:12:22 PDT 2019

On 5/14/2019 1:52 PM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
> On May 14, 2019, at 11:33, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:

>>> In this construction, how does one differentiate between something with two purposes versus a purpose that is serving another one? Or does one just rely on context?
>>>
>>> Because it could be a process for training that also will make him thin (but the training is it’s own purpose and lacks a direct causal link to the thinning), or it could be a process that trains him with the explicit purpose that the training makes him thin.
>>
>> The *'ej* gives the game away. It has to connect two verbal clauses
>> of the same type, which means they can't be modifying each other. The
>> only possible conjunction here is between the *qeqmeH* and the
>> *langmeH,* so there's no chance that *qeqmeH* is modifying *langmeH.*
>>
>> I wouldn't want to construct a sentence where one purpose clause
>> modifies another purpose clause. Start nesting clauses too deep and
>> they become hard to understand.
>>

> What you say follows my intuition, but the example provided seems to
> counter this.
>
> The sentence above {qeqmeH ‘ej langmeH} implies that the process is to
> train and to thin the chancellor as dual purposes (equality of
> purpose) — however my understanding is that the intent is that the
> training is causal to the thinning. A causal relationship seems like
> it should be {langmeH qeqmeH mIw} — “for the purpose of thinning, a
> processing for training”.

A Romulan hunter-killer probe is a *romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh
nejwI',* but the killing is dependent on the finding, yet they are given
equal billing in the sentence. It's a probe that finds and a probe that
kills, but neither of these functions is independent of the other.

A dieting program is a procedure for training and a procedure for being
thin. Neither function is independent of the other.