[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon May 13 11:54:05 PDT 2019

> On May 13, 2019, at 13:22, nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> novmey bI vIghro'mey tIH'e'

I have seen non-canon descriptions of Morskan on the web that state that {Q} becomes {H}, but the actual text that describes the dialect in KGT says this happens specifically in syllable-initial position, so I believe {tIQ} is still {tIQ} in Morskan, unless the description in KGT is incomplete.

There’s a “dialect” example in one of the audio tapes (I think CK but it might be PK) where Dr. Okrand pronounces the word {Ha'DIbaH} as {haDba} in the unnamed dialect he is demonstrating. The dialect resembles Morskan in many other ways and I’m not sure whether it was meant to be Morskan and the description in KGT fails to mention other phonetic changes like the elision of some vowels in some cases, or if it’s a different dialect that isn’t described anywhere, or if the {I} was unintentionally omitted in Dr. Okrand’s performance of the line, although it does sound quite intentional to me.