[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 09:33:27 PDT 2019

I think it can also be used for clarity, such as signalling a change in topic (since the subject comes last in Klingon), or to help navigate a longer sentence where the context of the subject is helpful up front.

We can see a similar thing in English where we can use the mutability of it word order and multiplicity of verb constructions to shift word around and convey the same information. It’s a subtle emphasis change, but it is an emphasis change:

“De’vID gave SuStel the bat’leth, but he gave the disrupter to qurgh.”
vs.
“De’vID gave the bat’leth to SuStel, but the disrupter was given to qurgh.”
vs.
“The bat'leth was given to SuStel by De’vID, but the disrupter he gave to qurgh.”

By choosing to alter the proximity and order of presentation, we can subtly shift the emphasis while the information conveyed remains the same. This is (painfully) easy in English. Klingon is far more ridged in word order.

SuStelvaD betleH nob De’vID, ‘a qurghvaD nISwI’ nob
De’vID’e’, SuStelvaD betleH nob, ‘a qurghvaD nISwI’ nob (Calling attention to the fact that it was De’vID who gave SuStel a bat’leth)

One also wonders if the following might also be valid, since the -‘e’ topicaliser could (my conjecture) serve to contextualise an indicated pronoun from a verbal prefix:

betleH’e’, SuStelvaD nob De’vID.

Buuuuuuuut, I doubt that’d be acceptable without clarification from Okrand.

—jevreH