[tlhIngan Hol] Noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the sentence

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 13 08:07:17 PDT 2019

From: mayqel qunen'oS
>> We know, that we can place a noun marked with {-'e'} at the beginning of the
>> sentence, the meaning then goes "as for (noun).." and the sentence continues.
>> The classic example is:
>
>> {qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS} you would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy

No,  what we know is that you can introduce a law'/puS formula with a noun phrase marked with {-'e'}.  AFAIK it's the only one I know of so marked.  Other such introductory phrases or clauses - set off with <brackets> - are marked with {-meH}:

  <jonlu'meH> wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
  Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (ST5 notes)

  <tlhutlhmeH> HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
  Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

or {-mo'}:

  <cha’ DISmo’> jIH qan law’ SoH qan puS
  I'm two years older than you. (Lieven < Okrand, 7/25/2016)

  <cha’ ’ujmo’> jIH woch law’ SoH woch puS
  I'm two 'ujes taller than you. (Lieven < Okrand, 7/25/2016)

or {-Daq}:

  <reH latlh qabDaq> qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
  The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

or {-lu'DI'}:

  <noH ghoblu'DI'> yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
  In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

or {-lu'chugh):

  <tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh> Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh puS
  The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS... S27

Such formulaic comparisons are not normal, simple sentences.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons