[tlhIngan Hol] Transitivity of qID

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 14:54:22 PDT 2019

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 5:34 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 5/7/2019 5:21 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 5:11 PM SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> So boQwI' has tags that mean "transitive because I say so" and
>> "transitive in canon"? wejpuH.
>>
> The tag is written out as "This verb can probably take a direct object." I
> assume that in cases where canon doesn't confirm one way or another, De'vID
> relies on the transitivity of the English gloss.
>
> None of *joke, make a joke,* or *tell a joke* seem transitive to me.

I'd accept "joke" as transitive with "that" as the direct object: "He joked
that the captain looked like a targ." That's the same way I'd expect a
transitive usage of *qID* to work: *targh rur HoD 'e' qID.*

(Apparently there are some archaic transitive usages of "joke" in the sense
of "to kid" or "to play a joke on", but I don't think the Klingon works
with that meaning.)