[tlhIngan Hol] And if I saw maltz today..

kechpaja at kechpaja.com kechpaja at kechpaja.com
Sat May 4 12:30:18 PDT 2019

On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 10:11:33PM +0300, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
>I would ask him:
>

>1. what is the klingon word for spaghetti
>
>2. what is the klingon word for pasta in general

Both of these terms are likely to be borrowed directly from Terran
languages. Even most Terran languages already borrow these terms from
Italian — why would Klingons come up with special terms for an alien
food that they'd never seen before?

I'd expect the borrowed terms to look something like {paSta} and
{Supaghe'tIy}, possibly with some variation on where the epenthetic
vowel in the first syllable of the second term ends up and on whether
you get {'t}, {tt}, or just {t} for the "tt" in spaghetti (it's
pronounced double in Italian, but single and flapped in English, so it
might depend on who they learn the word from).

>3. do lurSa' and be'etor wear high heels ? and if yes, how do we call them ? the heels I mean..

I can't speak for the characters, but why not just go with {va'nuch woch
waq} or {va'nuch jen waq} for "high heeled shoe"? There might be a
specific Klingon term for that particular garment if it's common enough
in Klingon society, but that doesn't stop us from just using a short
description today (works well enough in English...).

 - SapIr