[tlhIngan Hol] Apollo mission sentence

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed May 1 12:31:54 PDT 2019

Actually, the interesting part is that he starts with a main verb, then goes on to list locatives that apparently apply to the previously stated verb, suggesting that this must be poetry, since it defies all norms for Klingon grammar. We’d be hard pressed to find another example where he does this. It fits the English translation pretty well, but it’s not grammatical in Klingon. Locatives don’t follow the verbs to which they apply. So it doesn’t look like a great precedence-setting example for a verb in the middle of a noun-noun construction, unless we want to also accept that it’s fine for us to put locatives at the end of a sentence, now.

Your second example carries a lot more weight. Clearly, that is a noun-noun construction {romulusngan nejwI’} with the second noun being described by {Sambogh ‘ej HoHbogh}, which is also interesting, because it would be more typical of other canon to have said {romuluSngan Sambogh nejwI’ HoHbogh je.}, if I’m remembering the song lyrics correctly. Probably not.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.