[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Wed Mar 27 09:52:18 PDT 2019

While the case in point may not be an instance of this happening, you should be aware that often rules about when you can’t use a particular suffix originated when for some reason a line in a movie obviously SHOULD have had a particular suffix, but the movie went out without it, so there needs to be grammar to explain why it was missing. In this case, Okrand invents a rule saying you can never use that suffix (because a canon instance forgot to use this suffix when it really should have been there), so now the mistake makes sense.

This is why you aren’t supposed to use a Type 7 suffix in the second verb in Sentence As Object constructions. And this is why I sometimes intentionally break this rule because there is no real language-related reason that you can’t. It was a rule created in order to explain what would have otherwise been a mistake in canon, but hey, languages change, right? So, maybe that rule will eventually go away… and then we can write things a little more clearly without having to follow a rule that exists because of a flubbed movie subtitle…

I do respect that we’re supposed to pretend that there is some other mysterious reason that this is disallowed, since we are all supposed to be living in the fictionalized world where that movie subtitle was actually right…

… but maybe I come from some other Klingon planet or region that speaks a dialect that is exactly like the Empiror’s Klingon, except that in our {Sep}, we can use a Type 7 suffix on the second verb of an SAO construction…

… Yeah. That’s the ticket...

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.