[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yItlhHa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 26 12:29:45 PDT 2019

Although it’s been an interesting discussion I’ve lost track of this thread and don’t remember if it’s been mentioned, but surely this isn’t an example of “undo” but rather “do wrongly”.  {yItlhHa’} to be insufficiently strict - that is to “be strict wrongly” - is to be lenient and/or indulgent by Klingon warrior standards:  i.e. “Spare the painstik, spoil the child!”

--Voragh

From: nIqolay Q

I wonder about the use of {-Ha'} here, since it's possible to be lenient or indulgent without having been strict first. Could the use of the {-Ha'} imply that, to the Klingon mindset, everyone is strict by default, and leniency is an undoing of that state?