[tlhIngan Hol] Is the given meaning definite ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 8 06:37:46 PST 2019

IIRC (Say'qu'moH} "sterilize" originated in the words Okrand proved in 1990 for "veS QonoS" (the newsletter of Mortas-Te-Kaase, a defunct Klingon fan club).  A few of these were later used in CK and the entire list was reprinted by permission of both Okrand and the club in HolQeD 1.3.

There were, inter alia, several new medical words to add to those few found in TKD:

Hergh QaywI'  	pneumatic hypo (medical device) (n)
HerghwI'  	pneumatic hypo (medical device) (n)
muvwI'  	suture (n)
roSHa'moH  	paralyze (v)
tuj muvwI'  	thermo-suture (n)
'uD Haqtaj  	laser scalpel (n)
'uD'a'  		laser (n)

In the medical/surgical context "sterilize" is an appropriate translation.  In other contexts - say a drill instructor tells a recruit to swab the deck so clean that you could eat off it - "scrub" would also work.

Okrand has used {Say'moHchu'} himself:

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI' Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons