[tlhIngan Hol] Does Da necessarily require an object ?

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 08:26:53 PST 2019

SuStel

Let me try rephrasing, and stepping away from formal syntactical terminology — since I don’t have adequate command of it.

Also, I’m not questioning what canon says, I’m wonder “how” it came to be this way.

When one “understands”, there must always be something (however broad, vague, or abstract) that is being understood; even if the thing being understood isn’t explicitly mentioned, it is implicitly communicated through context. This is the case for many things in English (including: “understand”, “pay attention”, “behave”).

While I understand that {jIyaj} is a valid and canon construction, it seems counterintuitive to me that Klingons would not say {vIyaj}, since there is always an “it” (implied or explicitly stated) that is being understood. Changing it to {jIyaj} seems like it would have real meaning (explicitly denying the presence of an object — the thing being understood), unlike English where the object is left implied by context.

—jevreH

Sent from my iPhone