[tlhIngan Hol] logically/semantically connected sentences without an explicit grammatical connection

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 6 04:58:05 PST 2019

On 3/6/2019 4:29 AM, De'vID wrote:
> I think that very often, people use {'e'} or {-meH} or {-taHvIS} to
> join Klingon sentences into one which would be expressed using a
> single sentence in English, but there's no reason the Klingon
> translation doesn't just use multiple grammatically independent sentences.

I agree completely with this message. Not only does it avoid grammatical
issues, not only does it appear in canon a lot, but it's also a style
that Okrand has told us is true about Klingon.

I warn the reader, however, to avoid a plodding pace. Too many short
sentences, especially where a longer sentence would be an elegant or
expressive one, is really boring to read. Okrand doesn't say*
*

    *'uSDaj chop.*

    *chev.*

His tone says *'uSDaj chop; chev.* The separate sentences form a
complete idea when placed together. Don't string together unrelated
ideas because you think you're supposed to shove short sentences
together. The idea here is that grammatical independence does not
necessarily equal a complete idea.