[tlhIngan Hol] loQ maw' ngoDvam 'a teH... (matlhejchuqtaH maH vIneH neH)

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Mar 4 08:08:28 PST 2019

I think it’s even MORE ambiguous than you do, because it could also mean “I don’t want to actually DO anything with you. I just want to meditate and attain Oneness with the Universe in your presence. I only want to BE with you. If I’m not with you, I can get stuff done, but in your presence, there is no “doing". There is only “being".

As for the interpretation that it means that I have no desire other than to be with you, which is likely what the song means, to me that just sounds icky in a clingy way that, at the very LEAST, disrespects other valid desires, like eating or urinating, or avoiding environmental hazards, like extreme temperature, or high wattage electricity passing through my body, or nuclear radiation; or desires for respect among members of my community, or financial security, or wisdom, or basic math skills, or confidence when navigating the bus routes, etc.

This is why I never translate poetry.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.