[tlhIngan Hol] new info on body movements

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 1 05:50:19 PST 2019

Dun! Being able to describe human(oid) motion is always interesting.

I wonder if the difference between Hay and tetlh has to do with the geometry of the rolling thing or with the agency of the roller.

A somersaulting gymnast and a rolling log both perform rotations about their axis of symmetry (very approximately speaking), but the log resembles a long cylinder while the human resembles a wheel or a ball.

A gymnast rolling like a log across a floor and a clumsy skier rolling like a log down a hill both resemble long cylinders, but one needs to work actively to maintain their momentum while the other can just let nature run its course (hopefully very gradually).

lID seems very useful. From the description, I take it it could be used in a way like:

Sup targh; wej 'uj lID.

"The targ jumped three 'uj."

jISupDI' wa' 'uj'a' SaS vIlIDlaH.

("I can jump one 'uj'a' horizontally.")

lojmIt tIQ poSmoHmeH, leQmeyDaq SuptaHvIS He le' lIDta'.

("In order to unlock the ancient door, she (successfully) jumped on the switches in a special pattern.")

I wonder if the trajectory can be a destination, as in raS pIrmuS lIDmeH Sup vIghro'. ("The cat jumped up on the table.").

//loghaD