[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Mar 29 06:13:26 PDT 2019

On 3/29/2019 8:55 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> Meanwhile, if someone said {bIvoqbe’, ‘ej muSuj}, to be honest, I’d
> interpret that as the Star Wars line “I find your lack of faith
> disturbing,” and I’d probably immediately fall to the task of trying
> to say it more clearly. Then, I’d hit the same wall the original
> translator probably hit, lacking an appropriate term for “The Force”,
> since that is an abstract concept of a different fictional Universe.

That is indeed the line being translated. But whatever Vader means when
he says the line, he doesn't mention faith in /what/ -- that's only
understood contextually. Thus, using *voq* without specifying what is
trusted is a better translation.

As for saying it more clearly, in case you haven't seen it, I think my
own *muSuj voqbe'ghachlIj* is the most... ah... faithful translation.