[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

mayqel qunen'oS mihkoun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 11:16:34 PDT 2019

SuStel:
> Everybody keeps acting like I'm passing down an an edict, but I'm not.
> You asked whether you could say bIvoqbe' 'ej muSuj, and I said it's not
> ungrammatical. I questioned whether you really were eliding a ngoDvam
> or if you were really just eliding an 'e' and not admitting it to yourself.

You misunderstood me. Please, let me explain..

I *totally* agree with your analysis. Absolutely. As I wrote, I am
convinced by the arguments you wrote.

And believe it or not, I was relieved to read your analysis on my
original sentence, because it made me understand. I *felt* that
something was *not quite right* with that sentence, but I couldn't
find what. And as soon as I read your opinion I understood.

My problem is with the {tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!}..

>From the first time I heard it, I felt that something was off with
that sentence; but I knew that since a specific person wrote it, and
it appears in a star trek too, then no one was going to admit that
there is something not quite right with that sentence.

So, I took the opportunity of this thread, to express my problem with
the {tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!}..

I never liked it anyway..

Now, probably 'oqranD will canonize it, but that's another matter.
What matters is that we understand what's happening with that phrase:

1. If anyone else wrote it, he would hear that he is wrong
2. ..which would be true
3. however okrand will probably canonize it because..
4. it appears in a star trek, and..
5. he wouldn't want to say to a friend of maltz that his sentence has
serious issues

So, the morale of all this is twofold:

1. If you are a friend of maltz, and you write sentences which appear
in a movie, then all is allowed
2. If you are a mere mortal, i.e. a nobody, then you better follow the
rules or you're f****d

~ m. qunen'oS
I find sentences as subjects disturbing