[tlhIngan Hol] If only we could use twice to say..

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 09:57:16 PDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 4:55 AM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 21:07, Ed Bailey <bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> No surprises on the use of* -logh* in MKE: It says *Duj ghajchugh
>> vay, cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap le'. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le'
>> yIDIl.* "If owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are
>> otherwise entitled."
>>
>> (But it is proof that actual numbers aren't required in arithmetic
>> expressions; as one might expect, it's possible to insert a word like
>> *qav'ap* that has some numeric value that may be unspecified.
>> Also, something I hadn't noticed before: evidently *DIl* can be used to
>> mean "pay (the amount paid)," and not just the gloss of "pay for,"
>>

> How so? {qav'ap} "rent" is a thing that you pay for. You're paying for
> rent, not for the amount of the rent (though this happens to be how much
> you have to pay).

The translation on the card makes it clear the amount paid is the thing
that's being doubled. I have heard "rental" (but never "rent") used as a
noun to mean the thing paid for, i.e. the use of a property for a period of
time, but that's not what the Monopoly card means. If it meant the thing
you pay for is doubled, you'd get to stay an extra turn, right? The KLI New
Words List gives the gloss as "rent, cost, price, value," all words that
indicate an amount of money to pay for a thing or that the amount a thing
is supposedly worth.

so you might say *Duj vIje'meH wa' 'uy' DarSeq vIDIlpu'* "I paid one
>> million darseks to buy the ship."
>>

> I don't think that's right. That says that you paid for one million
> darseks (i.e., you bought one million darseks, using something else).

That's what I thought until yesterday.
My takeaway from the Monopoly card is the object can be either, but not the
person being paid, who would still take *-vaD*.

~mIp'av