[tlhIngan Hol] when -laH cripples the -lu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 18 12:47:35 PDT 2019

On 3/18/2019 3:36 PM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:
> charghwI:
> > There might be a better approach to the entire effort.
>
> I wish there was, but what would that be ?
>
> Suppose you wanted to write, a long passage with regards to the
> process of learning a foreign language. Starting from how often one
> should study, how one should study, the things one should avoid, etc..
>
> How would you approach it, without using the -lu' ?
>
> The only choices I can think of, are saying {vay'} and/or {ghojwI'},
> and using them interchangeably. But I would avoid the - lu', if not
> for any other reason, at least in order to avoid hitting the
> simultaneous -laH/lu' obstacle.
>
> Would you approach this differently ?

I'd probably use imperatives. If it's a book of instruction, instead of
saying *naDev wot lo'nISlu'*/one needs to use a verb here,/ just say
*naDev wot yIlo'*/use a verb here!/

If, on the other hand, you're writing a scholarly paper on how people go
about learning languages, then I'd pepper my manuscript with
*ghojwI'*/student/, *jatlhwI'*/speaker/, or whoever it is who is
learning. *naDev wot lo' jatlhwI'*/the speaker uses a verb here./ Then
your *-laH* problem doesn't even exist.