[tlhIngan Hol] when -laH cripples the -lu'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 18 10:19:22 PDT 2019

On 3/18/2019 1:10 PM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> Or, "all is -lu' good for..".
>

> Suppose I want to write a long passage with the subject of lets say
> training, and whether someone who has a demanding day job, can
> actually do serious training.
>

> Naturally, during this passage, I will need to say a lot "someone who
> has a demanding job.. someone who works many hours a day.. someone who
> is often tired.. someone who is able or unable to simultaneously
> train, and so on..".
>

> And naturally my choice would be, since I'm writing about someone
> unspecified, to use -lu'.
>

> But here starts the problem.. One can't use simultaneously -lu' and -laH.
>

> On the other hand, in a long passage where in order to refer to
> "someone" the -lu' is used, it is not advised to be constantly
> switching from -lu' to vay', when the need to say "someone is/isn't
> able to do whatever".
>

> So, in a long passage, the only way to avoid this problem is either
> using only vay' from the start, or just saying wa' nuv, to refer to "a
> person".
>

> Meaning, that unfortunately all is -lu' really good for, is to produce
> the equivalent of passive voice, in a language which doesn't have a
> passive voice, to start with..

You'd have to show me your attempt before I thought this was a problem.
In a long passage I would expect the writer to start using specific
nouns: *vumqu'wI'*/hard worker,/ *Hoch jaj qaStaHvIS rep law' vumbogh
ghot*/person who works for many hours a day,/ *Doy'wI'*/tired one,/
*qeqlaHbe'wI'*/one who cannot train./

I use *-lu'* all the time, and not regularly to translate English
passive voice.

Show me a text you want to translate that you think runs into an
irreconcilable *-lu'/laH* clash.