[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing exterior

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Thu Mar 14 09:09:20 PDT 2019

Everyone else has answered your question unanimously. No, you can’t use that expression and expect people to understand that you mean that you are painting the outer surface of your house. Your statement means that you are painting the area outside of your house, not in the geometric sense but in the spacial sense.

I, for one, wonder why you bother with Hur at all. If I hire someone to paint my house, they expect to paint the outside. If I want someone to paint the living room, then they expect to paint the interior surfaces of that room and not the outside surface of the walls of the living room. If I want someone to paint the interior walls, hey, we have a word for that: {tlhoy’}, which applies to the interior surfaces of exterior walls, as well as all surfaces of interior walls.

We also have the perfectly applicable word {reD}, which you mysteriously seem to be averse to using. Do you really intend for them to paint the roof as well? That’s at lest as close to being outside the house as the walls are.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.