[tlhIngan Hol] naDev and 'el

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 11 10:24:23 PDT 2019

On 3/11/2019 1:18 PM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> Am 11.03.2019 um 17:11 schrieb SuStel:
>> It's awkward in English to say /enter here;/
>
> In this entire discussion, this is what is my question:
> can you really {'el} the {naDev}?
>
> I think of {'el} as "going into an enclosed area". Even the sector
> does not have walls around it, but it has an invisible or imagined
> border. "here" does not have a set border, it's more like a spot,
> wherever you point your finger at.
>
> Perhaps that's the reason why it sounds awkward.
>
> Unless I have missed a relevant canon example.

*naDev* and /here/ are deitic, completely dependent on surrounding
context to have meaning. Whatever /here/ or *naDev* you're referring to
has the properties of that place. If /here/ or *naDev* is a box, then
it's got the properties of a box.

I don't know if *naDev vI'el* is awkward in Klingon, but if it is, it's
probably because of the usual redundancy of locative-sense verbs having
locative-marked objects. *naDev* is not marked locative, but it's always
locative anyway.