[tlhIngan Hol] “What color is it?”

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Mar 10 19:32:32 PDT 2019

On 3/10/2019 9:32 PM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> “what color is it?”
>
> My first instinct on how to ask that question was “chay' nguv?” However, after I asked it that way, I immediately thought to myself that maybe that is asking about the means by which the car is colored (e.g. laSvarghDaq lunguvmoHpu' nguvmoHmeH qoqmey”) rather than its current state of coloration.

It can't mean that; you'd have to ask *chay' nguvmoHlu'pu'* /how has one
tinted it? /to get that.

> So I reasked as “Doq'a'? SuD'a'? chIS'a'? qIj'a'?”

That's really awful.

Your first instinct was correct. KGT tells us:

    There is, however, a verb, *nguv,* which means something like “be
    dyed, stained, tinted,” though it is seldom used except in the
    phrase *chay’ nguv* (“How is [it] tinted?”) or when suffixed with
    *-moH* (“cause”) in the form *nguvmoH *(“dye, tint, stain”; that is,
    “cause to be dyed,” etc.)...