[tlhIngan Hol] the contradiction of yoda

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Fri Mar 8 09:02:44 PST 2019

This is just an opinion.

I was part of a square dance group that was torn between the dual missions of welcoming in new people, and developing a dance community that remained interesting for those who were interested in more advanced dances. Those who were focused on welcoming beginners stressed that the dances should all be kept simple. The others thought it would be enough to keep the first half of the evening simple for beginners, and then pull out the more interesting dances, suggesting that the beginners could watch and as they learn more, join in later.

The people focused on welcoming beginners won. All the dances were kept simple.

The advanced dancers left.

Unfortunately, the advanced dancers were also the callers and without callers, there weren’t any further dances. The community collapsed. It was replaced by a contra dance community, so it wasn’t a horrible ending, but, the point is that it’s good to keep a balance.

I think it’s okay to let SOME things through without focusing on the beginners, but it’s also important to keep enough content focused on beginners to keep them interested and help their development. Both activities should exist here.

So long as we don’t get carried away and forget that new students are important to the community, I think it’s okay to not SKI every message.

We tried putting out a separate list for those who wanted to post ONLY in Klingon without discussion or SKI, but it never caught on. I’m still a member, even though, thanks to the weirdness of configuration, I can’t post to it, or remove myself. Since nobody else posts to it, I just get a monthly automated reminder of the address I’m supposed to be able to log into to remove myself, though I can’t.

So, this is a topic that probably could be addressed better by the community than we’ve done so far. I respect and appreciate the efforts people have gone through to do this well, but we’re not quite perfect yet.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.