[tlhIngan Hol] Topic

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon Mar 4 06:33:49 PST 2019

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 08:26, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:
>
> I’m still in the process of learning the various nuances of the grammar, so I’m not familiar with this rule about nouns with syntactic marker suffixes needing to precede the object of a verb, and I couldn’t quickly find it. Could you point out where it’s given, please?

Never mind, found it:

> Any noun in the sentence indicating something other than subject or object comes first, before the object noun. Such nouns usually end in a Type 5 noun suffix (section 3.3.5).

That doesn’t seem to preclude the object or the subject from being marked with a Type 5 noun suffix themselves. It’s just talking about nouns that aren’t already the subject or object.

In fact, the examples about {-Daq} which show that {-Daq} can be used on the object of a verb that takes a locative object, and that this usage is redundant but not incorrect, give another example where a noun with an existing syntactic role (in this case an object) can take an NS5.