[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mon

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 28 08:21:16 PDT 2019

Klingon word: mon
Part of speech: verb
Definition: smile, grin, sneer

  may' bI'reS bejtaHvIS mon
   (i.e. Molor [translation unavailable]) (PB)

  pIj monchugh vay' yIvoqQo'
  Don't trust those who frequently smile. (TKW)

Kor harked back to this expression when he said, referring to the Organian Council of Elders, “I don’t trust men who smile too much.” (TKW 167; cf. TOS "Errand of Mercy")

(TKW 166 ill.):  The "placid sheep" of the Council and their smiles disgust Kor, who prefers the nonsmiling "Organian" beside him.  [i.e. Kirk disguised as the Organian "Baroner"]

(TKW 167):  To a Klingon, a smile signals not only contentment, satisfaction, and good humor, but also complacency, the feeling that all is well.

(KGT 202):  Klingons are generally apprehensive about those showing too much friendship.

(st.klingon 8/06/1996):  The Klingon word for smile is {mon}. This also means things like snarl and smirk. I wouldn't be surprised to find a Klingon mon and growl at the same time, but {mon} by itself doesn't describe the full growling experience.

Do not confuse with the noun {mon} "capital" [i.e. city].

PUN:
"Mona Lisa" ({mon'a'} Is she smiling?) Confirmed by MO at qep'a' wejDIch.

  "O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain! [… ]
    That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." (Hamlet I,5)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons