[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 27 06:46:37 PDT 2019

On 3/27/2019 9:26 AM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2019, at 11:03 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>> Who said it's ungrammatical?
>
> It looks like you did.
>
> On Mar 24, 2019, at 4:59 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name
> <mailto:sustel at trimboli.name>> wrote:
>>
>> It's not ungrammatical to elide an *'oH* which refers to
>> *ngoDvam.* However, you never established the antecedent in the first
>> place.
>>
>> What you're really doing is *bIvoqbe' 'ej muSuj 'e'.* This is, of
>> course, not allowed.
>>

> You also posted something even more full of multiple negatives that I
> think parses out to “you can say it but it’s illegal.” Are you making
> some sort of a distinction between “ungrammatical” and “against the
> rules”?

I said "it's not ungrammatical" to elide a pronoun. Then I said "What
you're really doing is" making *'e'* a subject, and THAT is not allowed.
I did not say *bIvoqbe' 'ej muSuj* is ungrammatical, only that it has to
assume an elided noun like *ngoDvam* to be grammatical.

Good grief! mayqel asked if there was something wrong about *bIvoqbe'
'ej muSuj,* because he felt like there was. I was pointing out that his
bad feeling probably came from mentally thinking of this as *bIvoqbe'
'ej muSuj 'e',* which is a sentence that IS ungrammatical, and I said
so. I also pointed out that mayqel's actual sentence itself is not
actually ungrammatical, because it can be interpreted as something like
*bIvoqbe' 'ej muSuj nogDvam.* I believed this was NOT what mayqel had
been thinking, because of his bad feeling about the sentence. I also
opined that this sentence was probably not the best way to say this,
because there was an elided pronoun without an antecedent, and offered
alternatives. This was a stylistic opinion on my part.

I didn't tell anyone his sentence was ungrammatical, against the rules,
or illegal. And if you all insist on continuing to find a way to read
what I said that way, just take the above paragraph as a revised statement.