[tlhIngan Hol] Verbs of measure

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 26 14:47:41 PDT 2019

On 3/26/2019 5:33 PM, De'vID wrote:
> But clearly, whatever TKD says, at some point it became acceptable for
> the suffixes {-taH} and {-jaj} to be used together. It may even be
> that {tlhIngan maH! taHjaj!} was re- or mis- interpreted as {tlhIngan
> maHtaHjaj!}, which was what made {-taHjaj} acceptable.

Or it may be another example of common ungrammaticality. Nobody who
thinks about it accepts it as grammatical, but not everybody is going to
be thinking carefully about it. We can't go invalidating a rule in TKD
because we have an example that contradicts it.

People often point out the bit in TKD that says "when Klingon is
actually spoken these rules are sometimes broken," but we must remember
that it also says "What the rules represent, in other words, is what
Klingon grammarians agree on as the 'best' Klingon."