[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yItlhHa'

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Mar 26 10:34:26 PDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 7:47 PM Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> > On Mar 25, 2019, at 17:48, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
> > I've seen (and heard) another Type 8 suffix used on a few occasions.
> It's not in any dictionaries, and it's possible that I'm the only one who
> noticed it. Its context has been similar to the use of a {bang pong}, and I
> will respect its users' privacy.
>
> I imagine this is an idiolectical thing, and hasn’t been used in canon,...

You imagine correctly.

> Or if {bang pongmey} aren’t based on names, what kind of imagery do
> Klingons favor for names of endearment? In English we seem to like sweet
> things: “honey”, “cupcake”, “sweety”, etc., it sometimes flora and fauna
> like “buttercup”, “bunny”, etc. Do Klingons endearingly call each other
> names of animals? Weapons? Foodstuffs? Furniture?

I don't know any Klingons well enough to answer that, besides what is said
about them in KGT. The real-life ones I know are based on specific (I won't
go so far as to say "intimate") knowledge about the other person's history
or habits, as the kind of shared memory that might sometimes be
acknowledged with a wink.

-- ghunchu'wI'