[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yItlhHa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 26 07:24:26 PDT 2019

(TKD 174):  This is an infrequently used, but nonetheless very interesting, noun suffix. <...> The suffix usually follows a noun referring to a relative (mother, father, etc.), but it could also follow a noun for an animal, especially a pet, and means that the speaker is particularly fond of whatever the noun refers to. It is strongly suggested that non-native speakers of Klingon avoid this suffix unless they know what they are getting into.

(KGT 198f):  Within the family, a child usually addresses his or her mother as {SoS} (Mother) and father as {vav} (Father), though it is not uncommon for younger children to use the words {SoSoy} (Mommy) and {vavoy} (Daddy). These are the regular words for mother and father followed by the suffix {-oy}, which indicates endearment. Most older children drop the {-oy} around the time of their Age of Ascension, though some continue to use it even after that, especially when addressing the parent of the opposite sex. By the same token, a parent may address a son as {puqloDoy} and a daughter as {puqbe'oy}. As with the terms for parents, the {-oy} form is seldom used past the child's Age of Ascension. Though almost always heard as terms of direct address (as in {Sosoy jIghung} ["Mommy, I'm hungry"]), kinship terms with the suffix {-oy} are occasionally used as subjects or objects of sentences, particularly in the speech of younger children. For example, a proud child may say, {SuvwI' ghaH vavoy'e'} ("My daddy is a warrior"). The word for husband is {loDnal} and that for wife is {be'nal}. Though there are occasional exceptions, for the most part, neither of these words... typically takes the suffix of endearment {-oy} (as in {be'naloy} ["wifey"]).

(KGT 201):  A bang pong is formed by attaching {-oy}, the suffix indicating endearment, to an everyday noun. Most of the resulting terms make very little sense to anyone not in the particular relationship, and none translates well. Some pet terms are based on words for kinds of food, such as {chatlhoy} and {'awje'oy}. Perhaps these words could be rendered in Federation Standard as "soupy" and "poppy" (from soda pop), though neither translation conveys the intimacy and intensity of the Klingon. Other terms consist of words for weapons plus {-oy}:  for example: {yanoy, HIchoy, tajoy, jorwI'oy}.  A third type involves body parts, Klingon or otherwise, as in {'uSoy, 'aDoy, pIpoy, pachoy}.  Another term based on a body part, {Ho'oy}, is one of the few that makes sense to a non-Klingon if it is remembered that {Ho'} is a slang term for hero, idol.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons