[tlhIngan Hol] wa'leS Soj wIqel meaning

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Mar 25 08:31:03 PDT 2019

On 3/25/2019 11:24 AM, mayqel qunen'oS wrote:

> Interesting information indeed. So lets approach this differently.
>
> Suppose I write {jaj veb, vIghro' tIQ wIHaH'eghmoH}, for "next day we
> bathe the ancient cat".
>
> The first question is "is this ungrammatical ?", and the second
> question is "what is the {jaj veb} if not a timestamp ?".
>
> I don't think its ungrammatical, and seemingly/apparently {jaj veb}
> functions as a timestamp.
>
> The only problem is, we don't know which day this {jaj veb} refers to.

It is a time stamp, and it's perfectly grammatical; it's just doesn't
refer to a specific next day.

When you say *jaj veb* in Klingon or /the next day/ in English, you're
speaking deictically: the meaning of your expression is based on some
already-established context. In this case, it might be directions for
honoring a cat, in which case the context is that you have already begun
the honoring process, and the next step takes place on the next day. You
haven't specified which day on a timeline this is happening; it's not
"March 26" or anything; it's just the day after the day you were already
talking about.