[tlhIngan Hol] wa'leS Soj wIqel meaning

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 07:46:45 PDT 2019

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 13:12, mayqel qunen'oS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, to summarize..
>
> {jaj veb} *is*/*can  be* a time stamp (if it is placed at the beginning of
> sentence).
>
> But unless context is clear, there can be confusion as to whether we mean
> "tomorrow", or some other day.

Knowing very little about the Klingon calendar, I wouldn't presume that
{jaj veb} means "tomorrow". Even some Earth cultures don't necessarily
follow the English convention that the "next" day is "tomorrow".

For example, when talking about time in Chinese, "forward" is in the past
and "behind" is in the future. This is because in the traditional Chinese
paper flip calendar, you'd tear off one page per day, so that the future
dates are "behind" the current day, and the past days were previously
"forward" of the calendar. This convention is still used despite the fact
that most physical and software calendars in Chinese have adopted the
Western layout of putting the days of the month from left to right with one
week per row.

For all we know, Klingon follows a different convention than English, and
{jaj veb} means "yesterday"/"the day before". (Probably not, but not ruled
out, either.)

--
De'vID