[tlhIngan Hol] wa'leS Soj wIqel meaning

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 00:45:46 PDT 2019

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 at 20:51, nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:26 PM Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> {wa'leS} is in respect to today only
>

> *teHbe'law'.*
>
> In the qep'a' 23 new words list
> <https://www.kli.org/activities/qepmey/past-qepamey/qepa-chamah-wejdich/new-words/>,
> there's a bit about time travel
> <https://www.kli.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Time_Terms.png>, and one
> of the examples is
>
> *jIvIbHa'. wejHu' jImev.*
>> *I time-travel three days into the past*; literally: "I time-travel to
>> the past. I stop three days ago" - that is, I stop three days prior to a
>> time referenced in the conversation, not necessarily three days prior to
>> making this utterance.
>>

> Okrand's explanation suggests that the "number + time periods ago/from
> now" timestamps have some flexibility regarding what moment they're in
> reference to. It seems reasonable that, in the right context, *wa'leS*
> could be used to mean "the next day".

Is this surprising to anyone? It seems to me to be the same sort of thing
as "Once upon a time, there lived a king... The king did something... The
next day...". The reference is obviously not to the day after the
storyteller is speaking, but the day after whatever the king did.

I guess maybe the surprising thing is that {wa'leS} is explicitly defined
as "tomorrow", which in English is always pegged to "today", in addition to
its obvious construction from {leS} "days form now" and {wa'} "one". But I
think this is just one of those "convenience" entries for looking things
up. (An English speaker would obviously look up "tomorrow" rather than
"days from now" and "one").

--
De'vID