[tlhIngan Hol] wa'leS Soj wIqel meaning

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Mar 22 00:02:52 PDT 2019

Am 21.03.2019 um 20:51 schrieb nIqolay Q:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:26 PM Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de
>     {wa'leS} is in respect to today only
>

> *teHbe'law'.*

Thanks for this note.

> Okrand's explanation suggests that the "number + time periods ago/from
> now" timestamps have some flexibility regarding what moment they're in
> reference to. It seems reasonable that, in the right context, *wa'leS*
> could be used to mean "the next day".

Nevertheless, I think this rule (if it is one) should not be
over-stretched, and since you mention context, it should be used like
that only in time travel.

So this basically means that {Hu'} means not only "days ago" but also
"days before". I don't know if Okrand thought about the ambiguity he
created.

{wejHu' targh vIwam. wa'Hu' tangqa' vIwam.}
When did I hunt the tangka? yesterday or four days ago?

Going back to my original message: I wanted to point out that "depending
of context", which is is the usual situation of making the utterance,
so, NOW, then the word {wa'leS} means "tomorrow" and should be preferred
over "the next day". But maybe that's just a writing style?

The more I think about it, you could also regard this more scientifically:
x-leS = x days from now = now + x times 24 hours. So taken exactly,
{wa'leS} after now is tomorrow the same time of now.
{jaj veb} starts tomorrow morning, so can be earlier.

This example gets stronger using the word {nem} "years from now".
{wa'nem} is 22.03.2020 but {DIS veb} starts on 01.01.2020

Is it not?

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"