[tlhIngan Hol] If only we could use twice to say..

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 01:43:29 PDT 2019

On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 at 23:45, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> I wouldn’t expect anybody to accept these, but if we wanted to get
> “creative”, possibly one or both of these might make sense:
>
> {wa'vatlh vatlhvI'mo' vIghro'wIj 'IH law' vIghro' motlh 'IH puS}
> {'IHqu' vIghro'wIj; cha'logh boq'egh vIghro' motlh; chen vIghro'wIj.}

I'm assuming the first is based on these examples:
{cha' DISmo' jIH qan law' SoH qan puS} "I'm two years older than you."
{cha' 'ujmo' jIH woch law' SoH woch puS} "I'm two {'uj}es taller than you."

But wouldn't it be {cha'vatlh vatlhvI'mo'...}? When you're dealing with
percentages, you're not saying "100% more", you're saying "200% as"... I
think.

What about something like:
{vIghro'wIj tIQ 'IH law', vIghro'lIj motlh 'IH puS; cha'logh 'IH}?

I don't know what it means to be beautiful twice, either, but maybe it's
twice as good as being beautiful once.

--
De'vID