[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yItlhHa'

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 14:06:43 PDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 1:24 PM Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

> > The use of the suffix {-Ha'} does not imly that the situation or the
> > action was different before. It's just the opposite meaning.
>
> While there are some canonical examples that may suggest this to be the
> case (words like {jaQHa'} come to mind), the original description in TKD
> suggests that it requires either an undoing of a previous state/action, or
> that something is done wrongly:

Based on {jaQHa'}, {yItlhHa'}, and so on, I've suspected for a while that
{-Ha'} has expanded to include the idea of "the exact opposite quality", at
least in some cases. There's never been any confirmation one way or
another, though, so I've been reluctant to use it that way. For now, I have
it mentally filed away as an idiomatic usage of verb suffixes, like
{HIvneS}. Or maybe it's an expansion of the "wrongly" meaning -- being
lenient is definitely the wrong way to be strict.

Maybe someone could ask MO about it at the next qep'a'.