[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing exterior

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Thu Mar 14 14:11:37 PDT 2019

>> On Mar 14, 2019, at 15:54, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 14.03.2019 um 20:36 schrieb SuStel:
>> Next I wonder whether Okrand has ever said that the wall-words only apply to architecture. Perhaps the outer surface of a bone is its *reD.*
>
> Oh, yes. Also remember words like {Som} and {DIr}, and depending on context, maybe even {pel'aQ} or even {yub} - who knows?

Or maybe what we’re missing are words for interior and exterior front/back/side. I could imagine {'et} and {'o'} being interior front and interior back.

Or maybe instead of front/back/sides there are three equidistant reference direction points like the compass directions. But we have {nIH} and {poS}, and {tlhop} and {'em}, so maybe not.

Anyway, it does seem a little unusual that we can be precise about the interior and exterior surfaces that are at the top and bottom, but not the interior and exterior surfaces that are neither the top nor the bottom.