[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing exterior

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 14 12:48:31 PDT 2019

From: mayqel qunen'oS
>> charghwI':
>> If you have a specific example where there isn’t a word like {reD}, let’s work with it.
> Since you ask:
>   "The tumor breaks through the outer surface of the bone"

How about:

    Hom jeqchoH HanDI’ tlhoQ
   “the cellular conglomeration protrudes from the bone”

If the tumor – whatever you want to call it in Klingon – protrudes from the bone, it has broken through the outer surface.

Okrand on {jeq} “protrude from” and the following sentence from the “Federation Travel Guide” by Michael Jan Friedman (1997):

    tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e'
    That is not my dagger protruding from your midsection.  FTG

(MO to Qermaq, st.k 6/18/1997):  The object of this verb would be the thing from which something else (the subject) protrudes. Thus, {chor jeq taj} means a knife protrudes from a belly. I suppose this is a handy word to know if you're vacationing on Qo'noS.

--
Voragh